Senior Forensic Animator
Toby Terpstra’s area of specialty involves creating visualization products based upon scientific data and physics. Using photogrammetry, video analysis, 3D digitization, and other analysis tools, he visually reconstructs and animates vehicular accidents, sports-related incidents, shooting incidents, industrial accidents, and product liability/component failures. Working in conjunction with medical experts, ballistic experts, accident reconstructionists, and numerous other experts, Mr. Terpstra uses physically accurate 3D animations to visually demonstrate complex interactions, event sequencing, injury causation, and visibility in a clear and concise manner. Mr. Terpstra’s experience and ongoing research has qualified him to testify as an expert in these areas.
As Senior Forensic Animator, he has published peer-reviewed research in the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) Accident Reconstruction Session on the topics of photogrammetry and lens distortion, and serves as a peer reviewer for research papers in the Occupant Protection: Accident Reconstruction Session for the SAE World Congress.
Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE),
Acoustical Society of America (ASA)
- “Comparing a Timed Exposure Methodology to the Nighttime Recognition from SHRP-2 Naturalistic Drivers,” #2017-01-1366, SAE
- “An Evaluation of Two Methodologies for Lens Distortion Removal When EXIF Data is Unavailable,” #2017-01-1422, SAE
- “A Survey of Multi-View Photogrammetry Software for Documenting Vehicle Crush,” #2016-01-1475, SAE
- “Photogrammetric Measurement Error Associated with Lens Distortion,” #2011-01-28611, SAE
- “Comparison of Sound Pressure Levels of Mid-to-Large Size On-Road Motorcycles Through Volume Modeling,” ASA, Oct. 2009
- “Evaluation of Discrete Vehicle Accident Sounds for use in Accident Reconstruction,” ASA, 2008
- “Analysis of Commonly Witnessed Vehicle Accident Sounds in situ,” ASA, Oct. 2008
- “Methodology for Physics-Based Sound Composition in Forensic Visualization,” ASA, 2007
- “Methodology for Reconstruction of Vehicle Accident Acoustics for use in Forensic Visualization,” ASA, May 2007
- “Benefits of 3D Laser Scanning in Vehicle Accident Reconstruction,” FARO Technology White Paper, May, 2012