Automotive Systems Specialist
Sean McDonough evaluates vehicular accidents to determine the sequence of events leading up to the accident, using 3-D scanning and surveying to generate a 3-D environment to accurately reconstruct the accident. He also employs accepted principles of crush energy, impact momentum, and planar mechanics to determine speeds, principle direction of force (PDOF), and with the use of PC Crash, he evaluates time and spatial relationships of vehicular accidents.
In addition to the wide range of crashes that he has analyzed, Mr. McDonough brings a wealth of automotive maintenance expertise. As an Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Certified Master Mechanic, Mr. McDonough has firsthand knowledge of policies and procedures that maintenance professionals are required to follow, as well as in-depth knowledge surrounding the consequences of poor practices. Twelve years of this hands-on experience, combined with a Master’s degree in Mechanical engineering, make Mr. McDonough extremely valuable in determining the role of the failure of mechanical components or simply poor maintenance practices in crash reconstruction. Sean has experience in working on cases for Ford Motor Company and United Parcel Service.
While obtaining his Master’s Degree, Mr. McDonough designed, analyzed, and manufactured medical devices used in neurosurgery. From the devices constructed, a provisional patent was obtained and licensing negotiations are currently being explored.
Mr. McDonough was an instructor of a Vehicle Instrumentation class at CU Denver, and a teaching assistant for Senior Design from August 2013 – December 2014, tutored students in dynamics, vibrations, heat transfer and vehicle dynamics. Trained numerous employees in diagnostic strategies, oscilloscope, electrical systems operation & diagnostics, engine repair, brake systems, ABS & traction control, air conditioning service & diagnostics, suspension systems, and transmissions.
- Professional Technicians Seminar for Diagnostic Strategies
- Professional Technicians Seminar for Network Diagnostic Strategies
- Professional Technicians Seminar for Diagnostics of Electrical Systems
- Pro Auto Tech, Digital Oscilloscope
- Pro Auto Tech, Millennium Diagnostics
- Bendix, Delphi VI ABS & Traction Control Seminar
- Car Quest Technical Institute, Automotive Air Conditioning Diagnostics & Service
- Car Quest Technical Institute, Hybrid Vehicle Service
- Car Quest Technical Institute, Vehicle Driven Brakes
- Car Quest Technical Institute, Suspension Systems
- SAE Vehicle Crash Reconstruction Methods
- SAE Reconstruction Analysis of Rollover Crashes of Light Vehicles
- SAE Applying Automotive EDR Data to Traffic Crash Reconstruction
- SAE Accessing and Interpreting Heavy Vehicle Event Data Recorders
- PC Crash Online Training, Vehicle Control
- CDR Technician I Training
- CDR Technician II Training